Tuesday, October 25, 2005

CANADA Now Hiring: Taxi Drivers Wanted; Doctors Need Not Apply

I will call her"Myra" (not her real name), and she was an attractive, personable newly graduated physician from Holland who spoke flawless English. She came to Canada seeking to enjoy and contribute to our way of life. She graduated from a reputable Dutch medical school, but was quite willing to submit to whatever testing or examination by Canadian medical bodies and overseers of her credentials in order to verify that she was a top-flight physician.

Canada's Immigration department responded with unaccountable hostility from the moment she sought to practice in Canada. The upshot of the entire situation was that Myra was to sit and wait for more than a year for her case to be considered. She was not permitted to even volunteer, whether it was to simply read to elderly people or read stories to young children. Her medical expertise was more than ignored, it seemed to work against her. MP Herb Gray was either powerless or disinterested to help with the case. Ultimately, after more than a year of maddening bureaucratic red-tape this highly qualified physician -- whom I would trust to perform surgery on me, in a heartbeat; in whose care I would insist to be -- returned to the Netherlands.

A friend of mine -- Canadian born and bred -- is a police officer. A few years ago, a taxi driver who had bizarrely, intentionally jumped the curb of the street on which he was driving, ran down and killed an elderly woman and the child she pushed in a baby carriage. After this, as police responded to the situation, my friend attempted to block the way of this deranged taxi driver with his police vehicle. The taxi driver rammed him, almost killing him.

It came out in court that this deranged taxi driver came to Canada from Iraq -- came to this country after serving in the Iraqi military and murdering a superior officer (he had apparently disobeyed an order and essentially got into a "pissing match" with his superior officer, which culminated in his murdering his superior officer). It was revealed in court that this man's murderous past came out in his hearing with Canadian immigration authorities, all of whom appeared to be quite unbothered about allowing a confessed murderer into Canada. The fact that this man was Iraqi is irrelevant to me. The fact that he was a murderer is what I'm focusing on.

I am not anti-immigrant. My maternal grandfather was an immigrant from Ireland, and many of my friends are either immigrants or the children of immigrants -- all wonderful, hardworking people seeking better lives than they would have had in their home countries; all of whom came to Canada seeking to contribute. I am completely in favor of Canada being a haven for asylum seekers whose lives are in danger in their home countries. I only draw the line with people whose lives are in danger due to criminal activity on their part in their home countries.

The source of my outrage over Myra's situation and the situation involving that murderous Iraqi taxi driver centers on the cloak of incompetence and detachment from common sense and reality that envelopes Canadian policymakers.

Once more I will advance the only solution I so far have for bridging this gap between the reality of Ottawa and the rest of Canada -- every Canadian citizen must move to Ottawa; breathe their air, drink their tap water. Maybe then the lunacy of our laws and policies will finally make sense to folks like me.

4 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I too am a doctor. I came to Canada knowing very well tht I would never be able to practice. My spouse who hd 18 yrs of experience and Masters from England hd to work in a chocolate factory to keep the food on the table. Canada needs immigrants, but wht they really needs is someone to do the blue collar jobs, but CIC seem to hv a problem admitting tht. instead they create all the hype and admit qualified immigrants, who then faces the "no canadian experience" term in each and every interview .. Stop the immigration or make"no canadian experience" discriminatory

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Whetam Gnauckweirst said...

"No Canadian experience" -- Christ, I've only ever worked in IT in the U.S., myself. I technically have no (or little, that is) Canadian experience.

As a thinking, cognizant Canadian, I apologize on behalf of the bureaucraps of this country. This country was founded by immigrants and could be so much more competitive on a global scale if we only made use of the competencies with which people arrive on shores.

I'm going to pursue this issue with some letters to MPs and the Immigration department.

This massive stupidity has got to end.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Whetam Gnauckweirst said...

Someone known to me finished medical school in Ontario in the last few years, and was told by instructors there that stats about how under-served various locales in Ontario are (chief among them, Windsor) was an exaggeration. I have no idea why med students would be told this -- I would think it'd be good to let them know just how in-demand they truly are. My wife's physician simply dropped her practice about 18 months ago. Too much paper work, too much hassle for what she was getting paid.

I conduct my life on the assumption that medical care will not be available to me.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

As an immigrant(highly qualified too, I hv an MBBS and MSc)and going through the worst period of my life, I need people to understand the discrimination I face everyday in my life. Before I begin, no one forced me to come to Canada, I made tht decision on my own, But to tell me tht I am not eligible to work in my chosen field, because my degree is not recognised does say something. If a Canadian citizen is ill in my home country, I can treat him. but I can't do the same if I am in Canada. Why so??
My spouse was part of the design team tht built few famous structures in my home country.(in fact many articles were written abt those projects in ICE magazine in UK), But to be eligible for a PE eng status in Canada, he needs 1 yr Canadian experience. To get the Canadian experience he needs a Canadian PE. Isn't tht called discrimatory policies?
After 11 months of roasting cashewnuts, he finally got a job in a small engineering company working under a guy with 3 yrs Canadian experience..
CIC is aware of the fact, there is discrimination, but choose not to do anything abt it. They receive more than 200,000 application each year. CIC makes minimum 200,000x 900CAD. Each application has minimum 2 supplimentary application too.. So u can do the maths.
Please help me to make"no canadian "experience discriminatory. Allow people to work in the areas they are qualified.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home