Friday, November 30, 2007

Emergency help requested for auto parts industry

Emergency help requested for auto parts industry
Dave Hall, Windsor Star
Published: Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Ontario's minister of economic development and trade is calling on the federal government to partner with the province in providing financial assistance to the ailing auto parts industry.

Sandra Pupatello, who represents Windsor West, said Tuesday that her ministry "is 100 per cent behind" an industry request for $400 million in emergency funds for an industry battered by a soaring loonie, layoffs and plant closures.
I recently read in the Windsor Star that Sandra Pupatello is 100 percent behind an emergency $400 million bail-out request by the Auto Parts Manufacturers Association. I think this is a great idea, particularly if Ms. Pupatello would be kind enough to request $401 million. The extra million dollars would be for me. You see, I'm experiencing the same trouble as the auto parts industry. I'm an author who hasn't earned more than $100/year from my writing in the past decade. Like the auto parts industry, I've known for a long time that I should change with the times and update my skills, that I should be more competitive and innovative. And like the auto parts industry, I believe that would just be too much effort -- especially if it's possible to receive a tax-payer-funded bail-out. Where can the auto parts industry turn? It's not like there's any money in making parts for hybrid vehicles or parts for renewable energy sources, like windmills or solar panels. As the auto parts industry feels entitled to stay in business by making its same old products, I would like to attach my cause to theirs and take part in this bail-out. Because, what else is the Canadian tax payer working for if not to bail out industries that fail to move with the times? I will forward my banking details to Sandra Pupatello so that we can get this deal moving as quickly as possible. Just remember, nobody misses a slice from a cut loaf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home