Thursday, September 08, 2005

Goals of this Blog

Having lived in a border city next to the United States for most of my life, it's been very easy to become embroiled in American news, issues, scandals. It being my personal opinion that George W. Bush is a globe problem, threat even, is why I often feel compelled to voice my derision for the man and everything he stands for. But Canada is my country, and I think it's fair to say that I've focused on American news in order to distract myself from fully participating in discourse regarding the problems afflicting Canada. This blog is my attempt to correct that imbalance, and to serve as means to better educate myself in what's happening in my own back yard.

I credit former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and his instituting the Good & Services Tax in the early 1990s for being the straw that broke this camel's back. Reading and watching Canadian news because such a day-ruining outrage that I decided to turn away. That's the coward's route, no doubt. Rather than let the corrupt in our country run amok, I'm jumping back into the fray.

Among others, the issues I am going to deal with in this blog are:
  • Immigration
  • Taxation
  • Out of touch politicians
  • An examination of each of the national political parties
  • Bureaucracy
  • Our governmental system and how it breeds corruption and contempt
  • Healthcare
Anyone stumbling across this blog is welcome to raise their own issues.

I love Canada, I think it's the greatest country in the world. We have freedom, security, an excellent standard of living. There are innumerable reasons to be proud of being Canadian (for instance, after Yann Martel won the Book Prize in 2002, I read an article that compared Canada to Ireland as a country with a relatively small population being a home to so many world-class authors), and that's also what this blog is going to be about.

Most importantly, I'm after solutions. It's one thing to complain -- something I'm completely and ashamedly well-versed at doing -- but it's another thing to offer solutions to problems, and to bend the arms of those who could implement them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home